1) Let’s get this out of the way right at the start. I hate the Foo Fighters. I’m not indifferent to them. I don’t dislike them. I hate them. There was a time when I tried to like them – I bought their first album (the one with the ray gun on the cover) when it came out. I don’t know how many times I listened to it trying to make myself like it. “Hey, this guy’s in Nirvana,” I told myself, “there has to be something good here.”
2) But there wasn’t. And they just got worse from there. Now, every song I hear from them follows the same formula. I call it the “soft verse-loud chorus” concept. The band plays quietly in the verses and then they rock out during the chorus. Every. Single. Goddamn. Time. Wouldn’t surprise me if a band member sometimes plays the wrong song and no one ever notices. Because they’re all the same. It’s all so dull, so pedestrian, so guaranteed to go over well in the soulless hell that is an arena show.
3) So when it comes to creating a beer that will bear the Foo Fighters’ name, what should you go for? An average lager would work – it’s kind of like the band. Dull, inoffensive and unlikely to be challenging to the fanbase.
4) And that’s what we have here with Foo Town. As lagers go, there’s nothing technically wrong here. There’s no off flavours or any problems there (and I’m on record as saying lagers are one of the trickier beers to brew). But, geez, it’s not very exciting at all. It’s really not very “anything” at all. It tastes like the idea here was to make something safe so as to ensure they get as many Foo Fighters fans as possible buying this stuff.
5) The beer is apparently in “very limited supply”, which apparently means “available almost everywhere” these days. Seriously, here in Wollongong, I’ve seen it in Dan Murphy’s, First Choice, Liquorland and BWS. When you’ve got enough stock to send it to all the mainstream outlets, I don’t think the supply is really all that limited.
Free or paid for?: I bought a six-pack of this because I am obviously an idiot.
Categories: Beer of the Week
Well then you’re a fucking wanker….get a real job you tool!!!!