Discover the taste of Sarcasm


Being rostered on a week of night shift means that I get the chance to brew some beer.
Finding the space to brew any other time is tricky. With a wife and kid at home it hardly seems fair to ignore them for more than two hours on a weekend while I mash and boil.

Much better to wait until they’re out of the house for a few hours. Or when they’re at work or pre-school and I’m not due in the office till midday. That way I’ve got about three hours to my beer-making self.

Yesterday I brewed an attempt at a Hoegaarden clone – which you can see boiling away in the picture above. I call it Sarcasm – because that’s the lowest form of wit (get it? Because it’s a WITbier? I’m making a joke about my limited homebrewing abilities).

It’s an extract brew, with some whole wheat and carapils (at least I think it was carapils, I don’t have my recipe book handy) mashed in and then boiled with some hops at the start.

The tricky thing for me was working out how much coriander and orange peel to put in. I figured I’d be sweet to just chuck in a whole orange rather than peel it (hey, only the peel would come into contact with the wort anyway). But Darren, a knowledgeable homebrewer on Twitter, who also writes the I Dream of Brewery blog told me, in a nice way, that I was being an idiot and that peeling the oranges was the way to go. He also reckoned my one orange wasn’t going to cut it, saying to go for at least three or four.

So I went with five just to be sure. I also used the advice I found online to cut the oranges in quarters, eat out the flesh and then fillet off the white part of the skin. But I quickly found out that was frigging stupid and took ages so I grabbed a potato peeler and got through the other four oranges in less time than it took me to fillet the first.

As for the coriander, that was a tricky proposition. I knew it’s a pungent spice and I didn’t want my Sarcasm to be overwhelmed by it. And yet I also didn’t want the spice to be absent. So I went with what looked like 6g (I haven’t got any scales so all these sorts of measurements have to be done visually – ‘‘okay, the pack says it’s got 36g in it, so 6g means one-sixth of the pack).

I thought I’d screwed it up massively when I tasted the first hydrometer sample and found coriander riding roughshod over everything else. And the orange was barely noticeable in the aroma and not at all in the flavour. But I opened the brewery door this morning to be greeted by a very pleasant orange aroma, so I took a sneaky taste. Luckily for me the coriander had faded to the background while the orange had moved up enough to be easy to find but not so much as to be overpowering.

It was also a relief to see the colour of the brew starting to resemble a witbier. On brewday it looked a murky browny colour in the fermenter and I thought I’d screwed something up.

So I’m glad it seems to be working out – I love a good witbier. My wife’s happy too – both because I didn’t have to spend hours on a weekend making it and because she’s a huge Hoegaarden fan.

7 replies »

  1. working out how much spice to use is always a bitch, they differ so much from source to source, as for zesting oranges thats a whole other pain in the arse but it makes the difference, and if you do another witt try a mix of citrus – lime, grapefruit, lemon, tangarine. All good stuff. What yeast did you go for?

    • I’m a bit limited in terms of yeast. My LHBS suggested Safbrew T-58 was the best option they had for a witbier. It’s probably not ideal but I reckon I’ll still end up with a decent beer.
      That citrus mix sounds quite interesting. Might have to try it one day.

      • dry yeasts are good but for styles like this yeast is king, get onto some liquid yeasts. Some HBS post them like Grain and Grape or Craftbrewer

  2. I’m surprised that you got a light colour from extract. What extract did you use? As for the yeast, koongara is right, none of the dried yeasts are really suitable for a wit. You’ll make a drinkable beer but it won’t have the phenols you expect from a wit. I also concur with him (her?) on the mix of citrus peels for a more complex flavour. It’s a very hard style to get right but lots of fun to experiment with.

    • The boil – which you can see in the photo – didn’t include any extract, just grain. The extract I used was a can of Morgans wheat and a can of Coopers light wheat malt, both chucked straight into the fermenter.
      As for yeasts, I know this sort of style is one where the right one makes all the difference, and when I get more serious I’ll probably end up mail ordering the good stuff. Until then I’m happy to make the best of what’s available at the home brew shop up the road.

      • the other thing to do get a little closer to the real deal with a wit is the secret spice, I think Hogarden has camomile in it, but there is often another spoce in addition to the coriander. I’ve tried camomile, star anise and juniper berries in wits before. Getting the amount right is tough.
        Oh and Brad I’m a him

It's your shout

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s